Install Teradata Express 15.0.0.8 by Using VMware Player 6.0 in Windows

9818 views 16 comments posted at about 4 years ago Raymond

In this article, I am going to introduce how to install Teradata Express in virtual machines in Windows.

Download software

1) Download VMware Player for Windows 32-bit and 64-bit from the following link (version 6.0):

This is a free software for personal use.

2) Download TDE 15.00.00.08 SLES 10 for VMware (40GB) viewpoint: http://downloads.teradata.com/download/database/teradata-express/vmware.

This is the latest version of Teradata Express edition.

Install software

1) Install VM Player 6.0. Please turn off Windows feature Hyper-V off in your PC (restart required); otherwise you cannot open VM in the VM Player.

2) Extract the file TDExpress15.0.0.8_Sles10_40GB_vp.7z to a folder.

3) Open VMware Player

image

4) Choose ‘Open a Virtual Machine’ and select the file ‘TDExpress15.0.0.8_Sles10.vmx’

image

And now the setup work is done. As you can see, the OS is SUSE Linux Enterprise 10 64-bit and version is Workstation 6.5-7.x virtual machine.

Run the Virtual Machine

Just click ‘Play virtual machine’ and you are entering the world of Teradata.

You can also download and update VMware Tools for Linux for latest version (version 9.6.2) as recommended.

image

After some setups, you will be able to see the login window:

image

After login, you can see the desktop:

image

Teradata Studio Express is also included in this virtual machine.

Run ‘Viewpoint Start’ / 'Viewpoint Stop’ to start/stop all the Teradata services.

image

Using Teradata Express Studio

In the studio, connect to the local Teradata database:

Driver: Teradata embedded JDBC

Database Server Name: localhost

User Name/Domain: dbc

Password: dbc

Authentication Mechanism: PASSWORD_PROTECTED

image

After connection is established, run the query below:

select * from DBC.Accounts;

The result will be similar to the following screenshot:

image

For more details, visit the following site about how to use this tool:

Comments (16)

Raymond about 2 months ago Re: Install Teradata Express TDExpress16.10.00.03_Sles11_40GB.7z by Using VMware Player 6.0 in Windows

Just a quick update:

The same installation steps are still applied to the latest version 16.10.00.03

TDExpress16.10.00.03_Sles11_40GB.7z

prat about 6 months ago Re:Install Teradata Express 15.0.0.8 by Using VMware Player 6.0 in Windows

Very well explained. Thank you so much.

Raymond about 8 months ago Re:Install Teradata Express 15.0.0.8 by Using VMware Player 6.0 in Windows

@srinivasarao vasa I am glad it can help.

srinivasarao vasa about 8 months ago

Awesome go through for installation and guidance. I have come across problem of datasource connection, but was able to success after see the instructions provided. Much appreciated.

srinivasarao vasa about 8 months ago Re:Install Teradata Express 15.0.0.8 by Using VMware Player 6.0 in Windows

Raymond about 2 years ago Re:Install Teradata Express 15.0.0.8 by Using VMware Player 6.0 in Windows

@Nik Once you logon with dbc, you can create your own account using the following SQL: CREATE USER user_name FROM database_name AS PASSWORD = user_password PERM = 10000000 SPOOL = 1000000 PERM: permanent space SPOOL: spool space BTW, in Teradata user is same as database except a user has a password associated. Please refer to manual for more details: http://www.info.teradata.com/do_redirect.cfm?itemid=102320036

Nik about 2 years ago

Thanks for sharing this. It was certainly helpful. I have a quick question though: In Teradata JDBC connection properties you have used User Name/Domain: dbc Password: dbc How can I create my own username and password.

Nik about 2 years ago Re:Install Teradata Express 15.0.0.8 by Using VMware Player 6.0 in Windows

Raymond about 4 years ago

@mark I am glad that this post helped you. I was planning to write some more materials for Teradata but I have not got time yet. I will update you once they are ready. The official website potentially provides some useful tutorials. http://developer.teradata.com/ P.S. I am also starting to learn Teradata. We can share tips with each other.

@sajid khan As you can see from the screenshot, the viewpoint is built in the image. You can start the view point by clicking the desktop icon. The following command can be used to verify the status in Linux/Unix: /etc/init.d/viewpoint status Viewpoint uses default 80 port number which means you can directly type your VM's IP address in your browser. You can search Teradata official documentation to find out more information: Viewpoint Configuration Guide

sajid khan about 2 years ago

Hi All, how can we test and access Viewpoint after installing VMware? I am able to login using dbc credentials now. Can someone please guide on accessing/installing viewpoint ? Thanks.!!!

sajid khan about 2 years ago Re:Install Teradata Express 15.0.0.8 by Using VMware Player 6.0 in Windows

@vinoth you need to login with the dbc user which is the most powerful user in the database server. As mentioned, the default password in the virtual machine image is dbc too. With dbc, you can grant rights to other users.

vinoth about 2 years ago

Hi there, I have followed all your steps. Im able to connect and see the allrights table also. But am not able to create or execute any other statements. How i can give access to create the tables. thanks

vinoth about 2 years ago Re:Install Teradata Express 15.0.0.8 by Using VMware Player 6.0 in Windows

Raymond about 3 years ago Re:Install Teradata Express 15.0.0.8 by Using VMware Player 6.0 in Windows

@sasanka ghosh I am glad this article can help you. I was hoping TeraData can generate Hyper-V images as well so that we can directly use this built-in feature in Windows.

sasanka ghosh about 3 years ago

I was cursing myself as well as MS for bullying the market for windows 8 and here is the man takes his time out to give this priceless information. God is not that bad

sasanka ghosh about 3 years ago Re:Install Teradata Express 15.0.0.8 by Using VMware Player 6.0 in Windows

Raymond about 4 years ago Re:Install Teradata Express 15.0.0.8 by Using VMware Player 6.0 in Windows

@mark Maybe try these utilities? http://www.teradata.com.au/tools-and-utilities/load-and-unload/?LangType=3081&LangSelect=true And so have you considerred the data integration tools like SSIS, DataStage?

mark about 4 years ago

Thanks for the update! I noticed that teradata sudio express also included in teradata express, one of function for teradata studio express is loading data, I was wondered that where can I find specification for data loading? The reason I ask this question is that my old job, data loading need be done in graveyard, data amount was too big, it will take several hours, now, in teradata studio case, how to figure out what kind data I can or cannot load, so that I will not be waiting too long, because if table too big, screen will be freeze. the point is to find out limitation of teradata studio express, thanks

mark about 4 years ago Re:Install Teradata Express 15.0.0.8 by Using VMware Player 6.0 in Windows

mark about 4 years ago

Very good instructions, I followed step by step, all the screen shots listed in your page I can reproduce it(ignorable difference). Now, do you have any online materials that I can practice? Say practice sql in teradata step by step? How many local database with teradata express? Thanks for your help!

In this Page